Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fideo con pollo.


On my "Top 5 favorite foods" Mexican is somewhere in there. The usual made in my home is whatever the kids will eat...you basic americanized fiesta...tacos,quesadillas, enchiladas, but i guess i never really tackled the more authentic dishes. This one was inspired by a co-worker friend of mine Sophia (..of course ...she's mexican), who often visits her mom for some good QT and comfort food. She told me it was a comfort food for her when she was younger...her madre would make it for her when she was sick. I started by searing some chicken thighs and legs in a big ol pot, the threw some garlic, cumin, a bay leaf, salt and pepper, and some chicken broth (just enough to cover the chicken) and let it cook away...bout 25 mins. I transferred the cooked chicken and it's broth/juices to a large bowl. i then toasted the fideo noodles w some butter until golden brown ( and pleeze Hammer, don't hurt 'em, they burn easily..so keep and eye on them), the broth from the cooked chicken was then added to the noodles (if you have it.. I always think it's better to use broth instead of water for these types of dishes). As the noodles cooked, i threw in some corn ( just cuz i had some), but i am guessing this is the part where you put in your pre sauted peppers, and onions, none of which my guest that was comming over for really enjoys (damnit!!). and some crushed super tasty pomodoro tomatoes (this shit deserves its own blog). So as that cooks, i take the meat of the bone ( again...my dinner guest not liking the whole chicken on the bone idea...). Really, she is a good guest, and super duper friend. Simmer simmer simmer, stir stir stir, add more liquid if you noodles need it...and it's ok too if you added too much noodles, b/c if i understand correctly, its suppoed to be more stewy than a arroz-a-roni type thing. throw in the chicken, stir stir stir, hit the dinner bell, your done. when i looked at my pot it was perfect. noodles, chicken, corn, spices, tomatoes...comfort food...mexican style. i served this up with some avocado sprinkled with chili powder, some sour cream, and warm corn tortillas for mopping up. Totally good, My guest and I had two bowls, and I sent her home with lunch for the next two days. This is the kind of stuff that I love love love making.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you need to get cooking - you're neglecting your blog!!!!